Saturday, January 4, 2014

About this blog by Geoff Thompson

This post is probably lost at the beginning of my archives so repeated here for new followers.

I have formed this blog as I have decided to post sermons from my collection of Christian Tapes that are from my own past Pastors and others from time to time.
They will feature the recorded sermons of Harold Long and Frank Hunting.
Both men have gone to be  with their Lord some  time ago now.
Some of these have already been posted on my other blog.
You can also access them at my youtube channel as per the below link
https://www.youtube.com/user/pembridgehouse
I am concerned that today's generations of young Christians are not always getting exposed to quality and discerning preaching.
I believe we,today's Christians,  are in danger of being members of the apostate church in the book of Revelation of which Jesus says "you  are neither hot nor cold, I spew you out of my mouth!"(you can find this if you look)
I have a very large collection and I doubt that I can digitise them all before I part this earth but that is no reason not to start.
Below are some outlines about Frank Hunting and Harold Long.

Please note that some podcasts  in this series do not always  stop at the end of the the address.
That is because I have not perfected my editing.
When you get a silence of at least a minute at the end of an address that means it's finished.
I apologise for any convenience.

I have now added some transcripts of some of my own messages which are delivered as a layperson at the Parkrose Nursing Home in Adelaide and also in the Renmark Uniting Church Congregations in Renmark South Australia.These are in a voluntary capacity.

ABOUT FRANK HUNTING

Frank Hunting on the left and Harold Long on the occasion of Frank's 80th Birthday
Frank Hunting was a Churches of Christ Minister who was my minister at the Grote St. Church of Christ when he came there in
1975 after many years Ministry in Ballarat,Victoria and other places before that. He was my minister in tandem with Pastor Harold Long from 1975-1980 (approx) .Frank is now with His beloved Lord. Frank had a very distinctive teaching and counselling ministry. His gifts were very much in counselling people with troubled spiritual and emotional problems , what some would call mental illness. He was Frank by name and Frank by nature. Without Frank’s ministry to myself and my wife and family I doubt that I would have remained a Christian. He taught such things as the necessity to keep in right relationship with God and others through going to Jesus on a daily basis. He alerted us to the fact we have a very real enemy. “ we wrestle not with flesh and blood.” who is out to destroy our homes.
He taught about prayer and also how when we become Christians it
does not mean that everything will now be a bed of roses. He taught that many of our troubles as adults have their roots in not only the effects of our sin but that often we have problems from early childhood and adolescence that we tend to push down into our subconscious minds that the Bible calls the Heart. These problems are usually to do with rejections or abuse that we might have suffered and quite often we are not consciously aware of. He counselled many including myself on how these things affect us and how to take them to Jesus for healing. Even though we may be Christians ,unless these things are brought to Jesus ,we can have much trouble in our relationships and in life and indeed may never come to know the abundant life that Jesus promises us. I have many Bible studies that Frank prepared for use in Churches , booklets on important Christian themes and may cassette tapes of his teachings.
With permission from Frank’s family, for which I am very grateful, my aim is to bring his teaching to a world that is desperate for healing and hope.I will be progressively putting up  material for the use of people who currently call themselves Christians and those who are seekers after God’s truth.

ps Frank Hunting was also a champion Australian Rules footballer in his younger days and played 4 games for Essendon in 1933.

ABOUT HAROLD LONG

Harold was a long serving Churches of Christ Minister who had Ministries in Victoria,NSW and South Australia.
He did his Bible College Training at the College of The Bible at Glen Iris which was a Churches of Christ Theological College.
We met Harold Long and his wife and family when we were attending the Church of Christ in Adelaide at Grote Street in South Australia.
I sat under Harold's teaching for some 3 years before I ran out of arguments as to why I should not become a Christian after listening to many of his sermons.
My wife was already a Christian.
We had the privilege in our formative Christian years of both Harold's ministry and also Frank Hunting.
I have often said Harold was the one who God used to bring me to Jesus, and Frank was the one who God used to keep me there.
Both men were Pastors in the Churches of Christ movement and were very gifted expositors of the Bible.
Harold was well known and loved for his prophetic teaching on the end times of the age and the Church and the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I have many tapes by both men and also other Church of Christ Ministers who have been our Pastors and many who were guest Preachers.
I will post some of the others at a later date, God willing.
One set of Harold's sermons  I intend to post are a series called "What Churches of Christ Believe."
 There was a time when most Churches of Christ in Australia would have believed the things Harold expounded on but sadly I think there has been a falling away in some of our Churches on what was held dearly by some.
When you listen to them you can judge for yourself.
Harold's son Rob has given me the ok to publish these tapes.
Ps As at January 2014.
As I am now in my retirement speaking in Church services on a more regular basis as a lay person I am also going to start posting my own sermons as shared in the Renmark Uniting Church and the Parkrose Nursing Home.
I have been posting these to this point on my main blog but will attempt to double up on here.
Also you can access them on my youtube channel as below
https://www.youtube.com/user/pembridgehouse
I do not presume that my messages are any where near the quality of my mentors but you will find a lot of the things I have learnt from Harold and Frank in these.




No comments:

Post a Comment